Wednesday 15 January 2014

Time to exhale


Friday afternoon at Cabaret Summer School, 2014.

We go into The Promethean theatre to rehearse our cabaret segments for our performance tonight.

The tables and chairs have been removed from the theatre, making the space feel smaller than usual.  I've performed here a few times, and it feels familiar.  Having been through Cabaret Summer School before, the prospect of the Showcase performance feels less daunting than it once did.

This is also the theatre where I will perform in April, with Eneias the guitarist from Brazil.  I imagine how it will feel when we come on stage together, to perform after a week of rehearsal and getting to know each other.  

There is not much more I can incorporate now; I just have to do what I've prepared.


For her "diva" act, Leanne brings out huge golden wings, which have a huge span.  Made for belly-dancing, purchased online, they are very dramatic.

When I run through my set, I feel a bit hesitant with the lyrics.  I'm over-thinking, but I get through to the end without too much trouble.

Catherine gives me a page of note and some final words of advice.  She reaffirms to me that I've got a good piece, and tells me to go for it.

I rush home to change, but first I watch the video that I made at the rehearsal.  I watch what I did this afternoon, and give myself a few tips.

There's not much time to get ready.  No time to do the warm-up ritual that I normally go through before performing.  When I arrive at the theatre, audience members are already settled at tables and buying drinks from the bar.

I'm opening the second half, after Interval.  I settle on a couch, as Matthew commands the grand piano and Mardi, Leanne, Heidi and Julie present their pieces.  During Interval I step out into the street to compose myself and do a quiet warm-up.  My husband promises to bring me a glass of wine when I come off stage; I never like to drink alcohol before performing.

Suddenly I'm on.  I start with "Listen to Your Heart" (it was trying to tell me something - I needed open-heart surgery).  Would I need medication that would prevent me from ever drinking alcohol again?  I might need to go on a little "trip" - "Come Fly with Me" - plenty of laughs from the audience.  And while I recovered from the surgery, Winter passed and Spring came - "Double Rainbow".  I hear Catherine's words in my head: "Sing this song with all your heart".  I feel all the work consolidate itself.

I come off stage, and now I can relax.  James and April throw everything into their segments, then it's time for Joanna to close the show.  At 18, she's the youngest in the group.  She has a fresh, cheerful presence and a powerful voice.  Joanne is impatient for her adult life to start; she's yearning to find love.  She wraps up her piece with an upbeat R&B tune.  It's a feel-good end to the show.

Afterwards, some of the performers drift away with friends and family.  I go with Leanne and Julie to have a drink at La Boheme.  We sit at an outside table in the balmy night, breathe deeply and discuss our shared experiences.

Next day, I catch up on sleep and don't have the energy to do much at all.  But by Sunday, I've regrouped.  I feel transformed by the past week, and resolve to get started on my preparation for the longer show I want to perform in June.

Because soon enough, it will be April, and Eneias the guitarist will arrive to work with me.

Watch video from the rehearsal










No comments:

Post a Comment