Sunday 12 January 2014

Bewitched, bothered and bewildered

It's late on Wednesday at Cabaret Summer School 2014.

When I'm finished with my French song, I go upstairs to where the other half of the group is working.  I sit down and express my anxiety.

I don't have a show.  I've only got one song.  I have no idea what I'm going to perform on Friday night.

I don't want to have to learn two new songs on Friday afternoon.

I need someone to help me.

We canvas various songs.  I desperately scan the list I brought with me, but find no joy there.

Catherine says "Work on a song you've done before".  But I want new ideas for my full-length show.

Someone tells me to make two columns, "Definite" and "Possible".  Julie, the ever-helpful social worker, pulls out her phone and googles "Songs with Heart in the title".  A bit doubtfully, she suggests "Listen to your Heart" by Roxette.  I leap at it.  That's exactly how my heart condition was diagnosed - when I listened to my heart I realized there was something not right, and went for a check-up.

The song has a lot of words, but I don't have to use them all.  It's really the chorus that I want to use.

When I go home, I discover that I already have the song in a music book, and there are pencil markings on it that indicate I've worked on it with my singing teacher.   I shove the book into my bag ready for tomorrow.

That evening, some of us go to see a Cabaret Competition.  James from our group is competing.  In fact, it turns out that I know six of the eight performers.  It's nice to sit there in the dark and let other people do the work.

James does a great job with his performance, incorporating some of the suggestions offered by mentors during the week.  We've witnessed his development over the past three days.

The winner is a "drag queen", who is very popular with the large crowd.  I know this guy and I know he's worked very hard at his art, producing his own solo shows and competing in a TV contest.

But after the show, I don't feel relaxed; I'm agitated.

I'm angry that the one contestant who exceeded the time limit was declared the winner.  But I wasn't competing - so why should I care?

I'm angry at the performer who aired her family's "dirty linen" in public.  But it's not my family - so why should I care?

I'm angry at the MC who thanked everyone except Matthew the pianist, who worked so hard in accompanying all the contestants.  But he doesn't seem unhappy - so why should I care?

I'm reacting emotionally to things that are happening around me.  Normally I'm not like this.

My friend Alison would like to stay and chat over a drink.  But I'm toxically tired, and I'm her "lift", so she agrees to leave with me.

I can't imagine being ready to perform in two night's time.

Why am I even doing this?










No comments:

Post a Comment