Friday 10 January 2014

The rain is falling on the roses

Tuesday at Cabaret Summer School 2014.

We pick up yesterday's discussion about how to market a cabaret show.  Sidonie shows us the progression of her posters over the past few years.  She talks about the importance of having an eye-catching image the makes an impact from a distance.

We also discuss what makes good "patter" leading into a song.   Matthew gives us some "don'ts":

Don't:

  • tell us the name of the song
  • tell us something that the song already tells us
  • tell us what the song is about.
James, a professional opera singer, volunteers to have his patter workshopped.  His song is "Blame it on the Summer Night".  He talks about the background of the song and the person who wrote it.  Catherine advises him to let go of the need to let people know he's done his homework.  He talks instead about being on tour in a country town, wandering the deserted streets at night, and how that makes him feel.

Now it's my turn to present a song that I'd like to use in my performance on Friday night.  It's "Double Rainbow", a poetic song by Jobim.  The lyrics commence:

Listen, the rain is falling on the roses,
The fragrance drifts across the garden
Like the scent of some forgotten melody.
This melody belongs to you, belongs to me,
Belongs to no one.

See the way the crimson petals scatter when the wind blows,
Ah, the secret sigh of love that suddenly the heart knows.
See how a robin's there among the puddles,
And hopping through the misty raindrops,
He's come to tell us it is Spring.

See the double rainbow,
The rain is silver in the sunlight....

I suppose it's a strange song for cabaret because it doesn't have a story line.  I've never performed this song before, and I'm focused on remembering the words and fitting them to the somewhat complex melody.

Matthew and Catherine want me to work with the images and convey them more strongly to the audience.  I sing it through a couple of times, but they're not very happy with my song.  They press me to explain what these lyrics mean to me. 

I have to take a few deep breaths before I can respond.  I blurt out, "This is my 'grateful to be alive' song".  

That's all I can say before I dissolve in tears.  While I was recovering from heart surgery, the winter passed, Spring came, and it felt good just to be alive. 

They express sympathy for a moment, then they make me sing it again, while I'm still crying.  They urge me to push through the emotion and keep singing while I sob in front of the whole group.

It's five months since my heart surgery, and this is the first time I have ever cried about it.  At the time I was focused on my recovery and being well enough to go to Boston.  I didn't allow myself to wallow in self-pity.

But now I do, and it feels good.  As I reach the half-way point of the song, I start breathing more deeply and find I can sing again.  

They advise me to see each image in my mind, breathe it in and let it come out, and "Don't think about the singing when you are on stage."





No comments:

Post a Comment